SHELBY POLICE REPORT THERE HAVE BEEN VEHICLE BREAKINS IN WEDGEWOOD VALLEY. PLEASE BE ON THE ALERT AND BE SURE TO LOCK YOUR VEHICLES AND YOUR GARAGES. REPORT ANY SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY BY CALLING EMERGENCY DISPACH @ 911.
ONE STOP SHOP - Pay your TAXES, pick up your PET LICENCES, & apply for your FIRE RING PERMIT (free) for 2014 ALL ARE AVAILABLE!
- TAX BILLS MAILED ON WEDNESDAY, DEC 10 you should be receiving them shortly. They are also available ON-LINE on the County Web Site. See TAX BILLS ON-LINE to the right of this page. Pay by CHECK OR CASH, credit cards not available.
- Don't forget your pets! DOG and CAT Licences are also available at the Town Hall for 2014. BRING YOUR RABIES CERTIFICATE & NEUTERED/SPAYED info. Cats $5, Dogs $12 Neutered/Spayed or $24 male/female. Pay by Check or Cash, no debit or credit cards available.
- Apply for your 2014 FIRE RING PERMIT (FREE) online-see Fire Dept heading on left and apply! They go right to the Fire Chiefs Office and they get emailed back to you! No need to have them mailed or get a paper copy.
- The LEAF BIN IS CLOSED FOR THE YEAR.
- SAND/SALT available at the town shop for Shelby residents ONLY. Bring your own bucket.
- PROPERTY ASSESSMENT: The Town has hired Associated Appraisal Consultants to do a complete revaluation of the Town of Shelby in 2014. Each property will be visited and viewed inside and out. A digital record will be prepared to comply with Wisconsin law requiring all property records to be digitized by 2015. A time-line for the revaluation and more information will be coming out at a later date.
- ATTENTION SNOW BIRDS: If you leave Shelby for the winter and would like your tax bill or utility bill sent to you at your winter address, please call the Town Hall @ 788-1032 ext 2 and we will get you on the list. If you will be gone through March, please call to let us know that, because the new garbage bins will be delivered in mid-March. We will hold yours until you return and deliver it then. We don't want them sitting out where they could be stolen or damaged.
- RECYCLING CARDBOARD: The Town Board has voted to add corregated cardboard boxes to the list of items that must be recycled. Boxes should be broken down, bundled and placed next to or on top of the recycling bin and covered if it is going to rain. Corregated cardboard has a wavy layer between the inner and outer sides. Cereal boxes, soda cartons, beer cubes, etc are not corregated cardboard and should be placed in the trash. They are burned at the NSP RDF Facility and turned into electricity, which is not as high in the recycling heirarchy, but at this point the market for these materials does not warrant separate collection.
- REFUSE/RECYCLING CHANGE IN 2014: The Shelby Town Board has voted to change to the automated cart system of refuse collection only, beginning on April 1, 2014. Collection of recyclables will remain the same. More information/details will be posted later.
- REFUSE/RECYCLING SPECIAL CHARGE ON TAX ROLL: The Town Board has voted unanimously to place the cost of refuse collection and disposal and recycling collection as a special charge on the 2013 property tax bill.
- 911 SIGNS: Project to replace all the 911 signs in the Town is underway. New signs have been installed along Hwy 33, 35 and Co Road K. Project will be completed over the next two to three years. New posts with fire numbers (same fire number/address, no new numbers) will comply with Federal mandates on size and visibility of address. More information to follow as details of the project are completed.
- DRIVEWAY PERMIT: You need a Permit for any driveway repaving or reconstruction. No charge for this permit - just like to make sure the drainage will be flowing correctly.
- There is a serious problem with dog feces being left in the parks! It should be picked and taken home, not left in refuse containers at the parks or thrown in the bathrooms. If the problem continues, dogs will be banned from all Town of Shelby parks. Those who use the parks for other activities and park maintenance staff should not have to deal with your dog feces. We are also having reports of dogs running loose in Pammel Creek Park and Mormon Coulee Park. Dogs must be on a lease at all times outside of your yard.
- DUMPSTERS: Town does not allow dumpster or other obstructions to be placed on Town right-a-way, permits are available for special circumstances.
- Town right-a-way extends 10-15 feet beyond the edge of the road. This area is used for snow storage and snow is pushed back away from the road. Town continues to receive calls relative to this area being tore up by the plow. This is the Towns right-a-way and may not respond to complaints about this area being tore up.
- TRAFFIC SIGNALS @ HAGEN ROAD/WEDGEWOOD DRIVE/HWY 33: The Wisconsin Department of Transportation has indicated that the intersection of Hagen Road/Wedgewood Drive/State Road 33 will be realigned and converted to a signalized intersection when State Road 33 is rebuilt. The reconstruction of State Road 33 from 32nd Street to Forest Ridge Drive is expected to be completed in 2014.
ISSUES TO FOLLOW
- SIGN ORDINANCE: The Town Board has voted to establish a sign ordinance for the Town of Shelby. This Town ordinance will take precedence over the County Sign Ordinance. Portions of the County Sign Ordinance do not fit with sign usage in the Town of Shelby. Click here to read the draft HERE
- REVISION OF THE TOWN OF SHELBY COMPREHENSIVE PLAN: The Plan is in need of review and updating. The Shelby Planning Commission has made recommendations to the Town Board and map revisons are underway.
Concerns and Complaints: email@example.com
Brush List Sign-up: firstname.lastname@example.org
Info on House Checks: email@example.com
TOWN OF SHELBY
2800 Ward Avenue
La Crosse, WI 54601
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8 AM - 4 PM