SCAM! SCAM! Across the state of WI there are phony customer service representative calling consumers in an attemt to collect payment for "past due amount". WE DO NOT CALL CONSUMERS TO COLLECT ANY AMOUNT. Please call the Police if you receive a call.
- RECYCLING CARDBOARD: The Town often receives questions on the recycling of cardboard. Corregated cardboard boxes may be recycled. They should be broken down and bundled, and placed next to or on top of the recycling bin. Cereal boxes, soda and beer cartons are not corregated cardboard and should be placed in the trash. They are burned at the NSP RDF Facility and turned into electricity, which is not as high on the recycling heirarchy, but at this point the market for these materials does not warrant separate collection.
- THE LEAF BIN IS NOW OPEN -- Please do not leave them in bags. Dump them loosely into the bin.
- Drive In Road will be closed beginning May 31, 2013. Town Board voted to close the road several months ago. Drive In Road is part of the Hwy 33 rebuilding project. The old road will be removed, with the old material to be used on other Shelby projects.
- The road crew has completed sweeping the streets and will begin fixing pot holes. There is a good Spring supply of them!
- Shelby recently acquired a new First Responder/Brush Fire Truck. Total cost of unit was $73,498.00. Town paid $50,000 while the Fire Dept. social club paid the balance. These are funds the Dept. earns from their Chicken Q and other fund raisers.
- The PARKS are now OPEN.
- Town staff and Board are monitoring the actions of the City of La Crosse and Onalaska relative to refuse colletion. Both cities appear to be going large bins with trucks pick up the bins automatically. This method may be more cost effective than the Town's current method.
- 911 SIGNS: Board voted to proceed with a project to replace all the 911 signs in the Town. Project will be completed over the next two to three years. New numbers will comply with new Federal mandates relating to signs and address. More information to follow as details of the project are completed.
- OPEN BOOK / BOARD OF REVIEW: Open Book is scheduled for Monday, May 13, 2013 from 11 am to 1 pm. Board of Review will be held on Monday, June 10, 2013 from 4:30 to 6:30 PM. Click here to view meeting notice The 2013 Assessment Roll is now ready to view at the Town Hall. We are open M-F, 8 am to 4 pm.
- DRIVEWAY PERMIT: You need a Permit for any driveway repaving or reconstruction. No charge for this permit - just like to make sure the drainage will be flowing correctly.
- PLEASE clean up after your dog along road sides and in the Parks. We are also having reports of dogs running loose in Pammel Creek Park and Mormon Coulee Park. Dogs must be on a lease at all times outside of your yard.
- DUMPSTERS: Town does not allow dumpster or other obstructions to be placed on Town right-a-way, permits are available for special circumstances.
- Town right-a-way extends 10-15 feet beyond the edge of the road. This area is used for snow storage and snow is pushed back away from the road. Town continues to receive calls relative to this area being tore up by the plow. This is the Towns right-a-way and may not respond to complaints about this area being tore up.
- TRAFFIC SIGNALS @ HAGEN ROAD/WEDGEWOOD DRIVE/HWY 33: The Wisconsin Department of Transportation has indicated that the intersection of Hagen Road/Wedgewood Drive/State Road 33 will be realigned and converted to a signalized intersection when State Road 33 is rebuilt. The reconstruction of State Road 33 from 32nd Street to Forest Ridge Drive is expected to be completed in 2014.
ISSUES TO FOLLOW
- SIGN ORDINANCE: The Town Board has voted to establish a sign ordinance for the Town of Shelby. This Town ordinance will take precedence over the County Sign Ordinance. Portions of the County Sign Ordinance do not fit with sign usage in the Town of Shelby.
- COMPREHENSIVE REVISION OF THE LA CROSSE COUNTY ZONING ORDINANCE: The County has passed the new Zoning Ordinance. Information is available on the County website: www.co.la-crosse.wi.us
- REVISION OF THE TOWN OF SHELBY COMPREHENSIVE PLAN: The Plan is in need of review and updating. The Shelby Planning Commission has made recommendations to the Town Board and map revisons are underway.
Concerns and Complaints: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brush List Sign-up: email@example.com
Info on House Checks: firstname.lastname@example.org
TOWN OF SHELBY
2800 Ward Avenue
La Crosse, WI 54601
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8 AM - 4 PM